Secrets are supposed to remain, er, under wraps, you know? Hide in closets, or in dark attics, or wherever they like to hide. The really successful secrets will probably hide in plain sight, but the point is, we never find out what they are.
Not any longer. BlueMist has tagged me to reveal ten secrets about myself. I am wondering how one goes about revealing secrets. I mean, how do I know what they are?
There are many things you don’t know about me, but I don’t know them myself, so we are all good there. Then there is the stuff that everyone seems to know about me except myself. Like, I realized the other day that I am actually quite dim at times. You know, IQ of a chimpanzee and all that.? I mentioned this to R, but it turns out he has known this for a long time. Looks like it was a secret only to me 😦
Okay, so you are now going to sit me down and explain stuff like the Johari window and say that all you are interested in is the stuff that I know, but you don’t know. And I know that you don’t know, but though I write endlessly about myself in this blog, I haven’t written about it. That stuff.
So that’s what you want. I think. So here goes:
Ten secrets you didn’t know about me (and trust me, you don’t really want to know either):
1. I hate talking about myself. I am sure you don’t know this, especially since I am always talking about myself on this blog, but it’s true, I really don’t like doing it. So next time you roll your eyes at some post which is solely about myself, you should feel better at the thought that I really don’t like doing it! And imagine, if I actually liked doing it, how much worse it would be!
2. I can also be a good listener. Once, I sat in a bus in Delhi and listened to a stranger tell me her entire life story. I guess she was bored. I wasn’t.
3. In school, I would write hilarious poems that parodied the textbook poems. I once wrote a parody of Ogden Nash’s “Confessions of a born spectator” that my class loved. It was called “Confessions of a class teacher.”? Unfortunately, I have no idea where it is now :(? Which is perhaps just as well.
4. I know several Indian languages. This is what happens when you keep moving around the country. You want to make sure you understand what your classmates are sniggering about, just in case it’s about you. Oh, and especially if it’s about you.
5. I live in suburbia. The roadsides have grass (though no cows), and tall trees and birds and all those things. But you have to drive miles to get a bottle of milk.
6. I would like to go trekking again in the Himalayas. The last time I did that was so long ago I have probably lost the patent rights to that memory.
7. I will read anything. All sorts of books, of course, and medical journals (I am not a doctor) or scientific research papers (I am not a scientist or a researcher). I am the one who blissfully buries herself in the bacteria-covered magazines in dentists’ offices. I even read the paper that they make paper bags out of and those paper cones in which they sell you roasted peanuts.
8. I don’t drink coffee. This makes me a minority in a country of coffee drinkers, and like all minorities, I am discriminated against. Every hotel room I go to has three different varieties of coffee, but most do not have a single tea bag. Worse, I am not even sure whom to complain.
9. I have a green thumb. No, I don’t mean I smashed it against a door hinge. I mean metaphorically, you know, growing things. I don’t mean the growing of strange organisms in the refrigerator, though I have found that I can be quite good at it too. I mean, it’s a great experience to plant a ten foot tall tree and find that not only has it survived, but it has soon grown to fifteen feet.
10. I don’t watch much television. This is why I don’t write long reviews of “Are you smarter than a 5th grader”. Of course, it might also be because I am afraid to find out.
That’s such a relief – I have actually finished this thing!? I deserve a nourishing drink right now.
But before that, to tag five people…I hope know you guys are better at doing this than I am..
Dipali (now that she is back to blogging!)